On Air Now
Moira Stuart's Hall of Fame Concert 4pm - 7pm
8 March 2017, 16:09
Thinking about taking up the piano? Great, but just so you know...
1. You can't exactly take your piano anywhere you fancy
This can be a negative, and a positive.
2. Downside - you’ll never be able to practice
Other instruments can literally practice anywhere (within reason), whereas you have to wait for a room. Also, don’t even bother getting your hopes up for a practice room with a good piano, let alone one with a window.
3. Another downside - everyone expects you to be able to play every single pop song or well known piece at the drop of a hat
No pressure Steven, but everyone is counting on you.
4. You can put on an impromptu show anywhere
5. Aaaand another downside, you'll have to play on all sorts of instruments
Even if you're a professional.
6. Beware of contrary-motion scales
Grade 1 - "This is easy... so easy it seems pointless."
Grade 8 - *chromatic contrary-motion scales*
7. You will get roped into last-minute things all the time
"You're a pianist, right? Is there any chance you just could..."
8. If playing the piano isn't for you, they make beautiful furniture
9. Practicing can really take its toll...
10. At the end of the day, pianos have arguably the best repertoire in the world (and you can arrange almost any other instrument's music too) AND playing piano is super fun