Best online dance classes and virtual ballet tutorials to try at home in quarantine
13 May 2020, 12:26 | Updated: 13 May 2020, 12:31
Feeling restless in lockdown? Plié, put your best foot forward and try a virtual ballet class...
Some of the world’s greatest ballet stars and schools are offering free dance classes and ballet tutorials, while everyone is self-isolating at home.
There’s a host of free classes and workshops now available to stream online and keep you entertained during the COVID-19 lockdown. Whether you’re a beginner, intermediate or even a seasoned pro, check out our ballet class suggestions for everyone and all ages below.
1. The Ballet Coach
Also known as ‘The Ballet Coach’, English National Ballet School trained dancer, Sarah De-Feu, is just one of the teachers currently offering online classes for adults and children.
Thousands of quarantined people are already joining in on all the fun, so dig out that tutu and channel your inner ballerina.
2. Sadler’s Wells
The London-based arts institution has also launched free, daily dance classes and workshops online for people of all age groups – taught by some of the best artists in the industry, and all available to watch via new online platform, Digital Stage.
And if you really need your ballet fix, Sadler’s Wells will be streaming weekly, pre-recorded dance performances – including BalletBoyz’ Deluxe show, new versions of Wilkie Branson’s TOM, and Rumpelstiltskin by balletLORENT, which were all due to run at the theatre over the next few weeks.
3. English National Ballet
For any professional dancers (and for the ballet curious) wishing to stay active, you can stream classes with ENB Artistic Director, Tamara Rojo.
4. The Royal Academy of Dance
‘Silver Swans’ dance classes are tailored for people over the age of 55, and are all available to stream live on Facebook. This week, test your balance and dance without the barre alongside RAD Teacher, Sarah Platt for the seventh instalment of their ballet exercise classes.
Royal Academy of Dance at Home | Beginners Ballet for Adults | Lesson 7
Test your balance this week and dance without the barre. Join RAD Teacher, Sarah Platt for the seventh installment of our ballet exercise classes aimed at the over 55's. Find out more > https://bit.ly/2LryZn7 #RADathomePosted by Royal Academy of Dance on Tuesday, 12 May 2020
Other online ballet classes
• DancePlug – virtual ballet tutorials from a collective of tutors, with combinations and exercises for any skill level.
• Broche Ballet – this online “ballet for grownups” resource offers pre-recorded practice videos, plenty of tips and tricks, and live classes.
• Kathryn Morgan – 300+ YouTube videos from the New York City Ballet’s former soloist, including top tips, full barre classes, workouts and targeted exercises.
• Dance Life – discover dance teachers, schools and connect with others in the dance community using this free app, available for iPhone, iPad and Android devices.
Visit: Apple App Store / Google Play
• London Boys Ballet School (LBBS) – the LBBS Global platform was recently launched to provide boys from around the world and from various backgrounds with the opportunity to train throughout the lockdown. It will remain a permanent service after restrictions are lifted providing an ongoing support tool for current and future young male dancers globally.