Women having a terrible time listening to music in Western art
There's always a guy at a party with a guitar. And it seems it was ever thus…
1. Helen he's going to start playing
'Concert in a Park', 18th century. Artist: Nicolas Lancret Picture: Getty
2. Perhaps I'll disappear into the table
The Lute Player, 1661. Artist: Sorgh, Hendrik Maertensz (c. 1610-1670)
3. Mm. That's really interesting
'A Young Woman playing a Harpsichord', c1659. Artist: Jan Steen. Picture: Getty
4. Are you going to bring the lute on all our dates?
From 'Hortus Voluptatum', a set of prints by Crispin de Passe (1550 - 1643). Picture: Getty
5. Can I play you this song I wrote?
'Venus and the Lute Player', c1565-1570. Artist: Titian Picture: Getty
6. Right. From the top
Martin Luther with his family by Gustav Spengenber
7. This is how you play it
The Scale of Love (La Gamme d'Amour), 1715-1716. Artist: Watteau, Jean Antoine (1684-1721)
8. I liked it almost as much as the previous four
Chatelar Playing the Lute to Mary Queen of Scots, 1560s, (1860). Artist: JC Armytage Picture: Getty
9. Can you walk a little further away?
Serenade during the carnival in Venice. Illustration. Picture: Getty