10 reasons why Fantine gets a pretty rough deal in Les Misérables
20 April 2018, 09:19 | Updated: 20 April 2018, 09:26
She barely survives the first half of Act 1, dying at 28 after her seedy boss kicks her out of his grim factory and onto the street, and it’s all because of her lousy ex.
Despite getting to sing one of the best songs in the show (‘I Dreamed a Dream’, obvs), here’s exactly why Fantine gets the worst deal ever in this musical.
1. She’s seduced by a guy she thinks she loves, then has his baby
Babies out of wedlock = not ideal in the 1800s
2. Then, he abandons her and leaves her to fend for herself and the baby
3. She sends her daughter away to the Thénardiers, literally the most crooked couple in Paris
Great choice, Fantine.
4. They take money from Fantine and work her daughter like a slave
IT'S ALL GOING WRONG.
5. She works in a filthy factory to get cash to send to Cosette
Hygiene levels = 0
6. The factory boss wants to sleep with her, which makes the other female workers jealous
Because he really seems like a catch…
7. The women all find out about Cosette and tell Mr. Pervy Boss, who fires Fantine
Yay for 19th-century workers’ rights!
8. Fantine sells her jewellery, hair… and teeth
Girl can’t catch a break
9. She catches TB by living on the street
10. She dies at 28
So it’s only fair she gets the best song.
Hold onto that dream, Fantine…
Gif credit: Les Misérables, Universal Pictures (2012)