All the musical figures to be recognised in this year’s honours list
Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra
The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra is Classic FM's Orchestra in North West England.
- The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic has been at the heart of Liverpool's cultural life for generations and gives approximately 70 concerts from September to June in its home, Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, as well as giving concerts in venues across the City, including its two Cathedrals.
- The orchestra plays a regular concert series at Preston Guild Hall and Blackburn King George’s Hall, and regular plays in venues and concert halls across the UK and abroad.
- In November 2001, the Liverpool Phil was the first UK orchestra to enter into a ground-breaking partnership with Classic FM which saw it adopted as the station’s ‘Orchestra in North West England'.
- With a shared desire to build new audiences for classical music, Classic FM and the Liverpool Phil have since worked together on a wide range of initiatives, including the introduction of the Classic FM Concert Series which have successfully encouraged people to go out and enjoy live classical music, many for the first time, at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, and at the orchestra’s performances in venues across the UK.
- Its imaginative approach to programming has seen the orchestra collaborating with an eclectic range of artists from Sir Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello and Toumani Diabaté and in 2006 the charismatic young Russian, Vasily Petrenko, took up the baton as Principal Conductor, becoming Chief Conductor in 2009.
- Petrenko joins a distinguished line of musicians who have led the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra during its illustrious history including Max Bruch, Sir Charles Hallé, Sir Henry Wood, Sir Malcolm Sargent, Sir John Pritchard, Sir Charles Groves, Walter Weller, David Atherton, Marek Janowski, Libor Pešek KBE, Petr Altrichter and Gerard Schwarz.
Did you know?
The RLPO is the oldest surviving professional symphony orchestra in the UK, with origins dating back to 1840.
Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra: 15 facts about Classic FM's Orchestra in North West England
The RLPO is at the heart of Liverpool's cultural life. It was the first UK orchestra to enter into a ground-breaking partnership with Classic FM.
RLPO principal conductor Vasily Petrenko is delighted - and so are we.
John Suchet presents 'The Spirit of Christmas' from Liverpool.
Home to Classic FM's Orchestra in North-West England - the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic - Liverpool Philharmonic Hall has its own fascinating history as well as plans for the future.
Classic FM Album of the Week, 5 May 2015, after 10am
Find out more about Williams: Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus. Watch and listen to different recordings and download your favourite.
An emotive performance of 'You'll Never Walk Alone'
The great British conductor joins Classic FM’s orchestra in the North West
Top RLPO Pieces
Powered by Facebook