Frederic Chopin: "Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art."
The Fast and Friendly Guide to Chopin
Frederic Chopin (1810-1849) was a Polish composer and virtuoso pianist of French-Polish parentage. He is considered one of the great masters of Romantic music.
Life and Music
- Frederic Chopin was born in Poland, west of Warsaw, on either February 22nd or March 1st 1810 - local records differ with when Chopin's parents claimed he was born.
- Chopin was composing and writing poetry at six, and gave his first public concerto performance at the age of eight.
- In 1822 Chopin came under the personal supervision of Jozef Elsner, the founder-director of the Warsaw Conservatory.
- He became a leading advocate of 'absolute music', producing some of the earliest Romantic pieces and arguably the finest body of solo music for the piano.
- Chopin dedicated his second piano concerto (1830) to Delfina Potocka, with whom he hit the headlines during the 1940s when a sensational series of highly erotic (forged) love letters were discovered.
- In 1836 Chopin met the novelist George Sand (alias Aurore Dudevant), and so began one of the most famous love affairs in the history of music. The pair split up in 1847.
- Chopin's Funeral March, one of the piano repertoire's most famous works, was composed in 1837.
- By 1841, both sets of Chopin's Etudes had been published. They went on to become indispensable tomes for piano students everywhere.
- Among the most famous of his works was composed late in his life - The Minute Waltz was finished in 1847.
- Chopin's health began to deteriorate rapidly and he left for England at the invitation of his Scottish piano pupil, Jane Stirling.
- He returned to Paris, where, despite gifts of money and many kind attempts to comfort him, he died on 17 October 1849.
Did you know?
Chopin paid for his expensive lifestyle by giving piano lessons to rich people in Paris. He never liked the idea of asking them for money, so would look away while they left the fee on his mantelpiece.
Warren Mailey-Smith plays Chopin's 'Minute' Waltz
Warren Mailey-Smith performs the complete solo works for piano by Chopin this season at Saint John's Smith Square. Find out more at the St John's Smith Square website.
Chopin: 15 facts about the great composer
Preludes, nocturnes, waltzes - Chopin composed some of the greatest Romantic piano music. Learn more about him with our interesting facts.
Australian pianist Jonathan Ong has used his talents wisely
Discover one of Chopin's greatest works
We celebrate the women who brought up some of the biggest names in classical music
Discover the people who inspired some of the greatest music
Drive Featured Album, from 20 July 2015, after 6pm.
Classic FM Drive Featured Album, 26 January 2015.
Top Chopin Pieces
Powered by Facebook
Chopin Recently Played
What Chopin music did we play and who performed it?