"Sadly these things don’t always happen naturally."
The composer – and Principal Conductor of the Philharmonia Orchestra – is always at the cutting-edge of new technology.
- Salonen was born in Helsinki, Finland on 30 June 1958.
- He studied horn, conducting and composition at the Sibelius Academy.
- His career was launched in 1983 when he replaced an indisposed Michael Tilson Thomas at short notice to conduct Mahler's Symphony No. 3 with the Philharmonia in London. He had never previously studied the score.
- He was principal guest conductor of the Philharmonia from 1985 to 1994.
- He co-founded the Baltic Sea Festival in 2003 to bring the countries around the Baltic Sea together and raise environmental awareness.
- In 1989, he replaced Andre Previn as the L.A. Philharmonic's Music Director. In 2009, he was appointed its first Conductor Laureate.
- He served the LA Phil longer than anyone else in the orchestra's history, leading the orchestra in 973 concerts and 23 tours.
- He has been Composer-in-Residence at the New York Philharmonic since Autumn of 2015.
- Salonen and the Philharmonia have pioneered the idea of 'digital residency' which allows members of the public to conduct, play and step inside the orchestra through audio and video projections.
- In 2014 he was part of an international television and web campaign for Apple, promoting iPad Air.
- In Berlin, he and the Philharmonia gave the first ever full orchestral concert inside an Apple store.
Did you know?
Salonen considered buying Stravinsky's former Beverly Hills home but, after visiting the house and seeing indentations from Stravinsky's piano still visible in the carpet, he was too intimidated by the prospect of trying to compose in the same house.
Esa-Pekka Salonen - The Conductor
Details of Southbank Centre's 2016-17 season are out.
Finnish composer and conductor joins NY Phil for three years
Apple's latest slick iPad ad shows Philharmonia conductor Esa-Pekka Salonen composing an orchestral work on his tablet. Have a listen...
Conductor Esa-Pekka Salonen has swapped his baton for the Olympic Torch on the 69th day of its nationwide journey
The Philharmonia is allowing fans to step into an orchestra's shoes with the amazing Universe Of Sound.
The Philharmonia Orchestra scoop two awards for their re-rite project at this year's RPS Music Awards.
Watch artist interviews and features on the Philharmonia video podcast.
French pianist, Hélène Grimaud, has taken the theme of escape from pain and sadness for her debut DG disc, Credo
Find out more about Stravinsky's The Firebird. Watch and listen to different recordings and download your favourite.
Until 15 November, the Philharmonia is offering the public the opportunity to experience performing with the Orchestra.