Christmas traditions in Australia, guitar arrangements, and Christmas music, Craig Ogden explains the magic behind his latest album, Christmas Time.
Australian born guitarist Craig Ogden is one of the world’s finest classical guitarists.
Life and Music
- Craig's 3rd album for Classic FM, Christmas Time, is out on November 25th and features a range of festive favourites.
- Craig’s debut solo album for Classic FM, 'The Guitarist' went straight to Number 1 in the classical charts.
- Craig Ogden studied guitar from the age of seven and percussion from the age of thirteen.
- He regularly appears as soloist and chamber musician at the major London venues including the Queen Elizabeth Hall, Wigmore Hall and the Barbican and collaborates regularly with many of the UK's top artists and ensembles.
- Craig Ogden is Principal Lecturer in Guitar at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester.
- Ogden's recordings for Virgin/EMI, Chandos, Nimbus, Hyperion and Sony have received wide acclaim.
- BBC Music Magazine dubbed Ogden 'a worthy successor to Julian Bream' and his debut solo CD for Nimbus Records of 20th Century Classics by British composers was nominated for a Grammy Award.
- He has performed concertos with all of the main UK orchestras including the London Symphony, BBC Symphony, Royal Philharmonic, London Philharmonic, Philharmonia, Hallé, BBC Philharmonic, CBSO, RLPO and BBC NOW, and also in Russia, Sweden, South Africa, the USA, Latvia, and Australia.
- His second album Summertime features soothing guitar favourites and film themes as never heard before, plus fantastic new arrangements of music from Mozart, Faure and Satie.
Did you know?
In 2004 Craig was honoured by the Royal Northern College of Music with a Fellowship in recognition of his achievements. He is the youngest instrumentalist to have received this award from the RNCM.
Craig Ogden: 10 facts about the great guitarist
Australian-born Craig Ogden is one of the finest players of classical guitar of his generation. Here are ten things you may not have known about this exciting performer.
Craig Ogden playing The Ashokan Farewel
We’re exclusively giving away a beautiful track from his brand new album, Christmas Time.
For the past 400 years, the guitar has probably been the most popular and accessible of all instruments. Here we showcase 20 of the instrument’s greatest classical exponents.
Classical guitarist Craig Ogden's Classic BRIT-nominated album is a fantastic achievement - find out more with our track-by-track guide.
Watch Craig Ogden play one of the nation's favourite carols, Silent Night.
Get the Christmas spirit with this seasonal offering from the great guitarist. Album of the Week, 2 December 2013.
Craig Ogden teams up with countertenor David Daniels on a compilation that mixes Renaissance lute songs with 20th-century ballads
Top Craig Ogden Pieces
Gabriel's Oboe (The Mission)
Memories of the Alhambra
Powered by Facebook