On Bank Holiday Monday, 26 August 2013, we revealed the Top 100 Movie Music Chart of the year, voted for by you. Find out where your favourite soundtrack is in this year's chart.
Hans Zimmer (1957-present) is a German film score composer and music producer, who has composed music for over 100 films, including Hollywood blockbusters such as the Pirates of the Caribbean series, Gladiator, The Lion King, The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons and Sherlock Holmes.
Life and Music
- Zimmer spent the early part of his career in the United Kingdom before moving to the United States.
- He is the head of the film music division at DreamWorks studios, and works with other composers through the company which he founded, Remote Control Productions. His work is notable for integrating electronic music sounds with traditional orchestral arrangements.
- Zimmer was born in Frankfurt am Main, Germany and moved to London as a teenager.
- Zimmer began his career playing keyboards and synthesisers.
- A turning point in Zimmer's career occurred with the 1988 film Rain Man. Hollywood director Barry Levinson was looking for someone to score Rain Man, and his wife heard the soundtrack CD of the anti-Apartheid drama A World Apart, for which Zimmer had composed the music. Levinson was impressed by Zimmer's work, and hired him to score Rain Man.
- For the 1992 film The Power of One, Zimmer travelled to Africa in order to use African choirs and drums in the recording of the score. On the strength of this work, Disney Animation Studios approached Zimmer to compose the score for the film The Lion King.
- In the 2000s, Zimmer has composed scores for Hollywood blockbuster films including Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, The Last Samurai, The Da Vinci Code and The Simpsons Movie.
- Zimmer is also noted for his work on the scores of Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, on which he collaborated with James Newton Howard.
The soundtrack legend told Reddit that the only man who could soundtrack his own life would be the singing superstar
Soundtrack unknown from indie folk band beats soundtrack royalty to Golden Globe award
Another hearty score for Hans Zimmer, but one that takes its cues from the other Pirates of the Caribbean movies too.
Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard and more are all condensed into one amazing sound for the Batman Begins soundtrack.
Batman film music with his brooding Dark Knight Rises score was composed by Hollywood legend Hans Zimmer.
The latest blockbusting soundtrack from Hans Zimmer has a lot to live up to. So how does the new Superman music fare? Find out with our guide.
Hans Zimmer packs a punch with his music for The Dark Knight.
Top Zimmer Pieces
Powered by Facebook