Who knows what Michael Nyman's well-loved score would have sounded like if director Jane Campion had gone with her gut instinct…
Michael Nyman (1944 - present) is synonymous with a fluent orchestral minimalism.
Life and Music
- Nyman's score for Jane Campion's film 'The Piano' is only one in a long line of distinct and accomplished film scores that started with his work for maverick film director, Peter Greenway.
- Michael wrote his first composition for Harrison Birtwistle's "dramatic pastoral", Down by the Greenwood Side. Eight years later Birtwistle, commissioned Michael to provide arrangements for a production of Carlo Goldoni's play 'Il Campiello'.
- Nyman kept the Campiello Band together, propelled by his own playing. Soon the band's line-up mutated, amplification was added and the band changed their name to the 'Michael Nyman Band'.
- Nyman has since worked on numerous film projects, including several films for Peter Greenway, Jane Campion's Oscar nominated film 'The Piano' and Andrew Niccol's 1997 film 'Gattaca', for which Nyman was nominated for a Golden Globe.
- In 2006, Nyman celebrated his 60th birthday with a concert, 'Nyman plays Nyman' at the Hackney Empire Theatre to a standing ovation.
Did you know?
Before becoming a composer, Michael built up a solid reputation as a columnist in London.
British film composer Michael Nyman wasn't best pleased by the London Symphony Orchestra's newest member, Mr Bean, at the Opening Ceremony
17 August: Ksenia Bashmet showcases some of Michael Nyman's finest film scores on this new CD.
Michael Nyman didn’t write the central tune that runs through The Piano - that's actually called 'Bonny winter's noo awa' - but he did compose the rest of the film's excellent score.
The Ukranian YouTube sensation plays the piano music of Michael Nyman. John Suchet's Album of the Week, 17 March 2014.
Favourites from 'The Piano' and 'The End of the Affair' complete this collection from the popular film composer
Anne-Marie Minhall writes that Michael Nyman's concerto always brings back haunting memories of the movie, The Piano.
Top Nyman Pieces
Powered by Facebook