A colliery spoil tip collapsed and inundated the classrooms of a village school, killing almost everyone inside.
Karl Jenkins (1944-present) is a Welsh musician and composer. His most well-known pieces are Adiemus: Songs of Sanctuary and The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace.
Life and Music
- Karl Jenkins was born in Penclawdd, Gower, Wales in 1944 and learnt to play the piano from his father. He later studied music at Cardiff University before finishing his musical education at the Royal Academy of Music, London.
- Jenkins' initially made his mark in the "Jazz Polls" of the 1960s and 1970s when he co-founded the group Nucleus 1969. Regularly playing at the infamous Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club, the group went on to record three albums and win first prize at the Montreux Jazz Festival.
- However, his classical work 'Adiemus', which was commissioned for a television commercial, topped the classical charts around the globe and brought him to the world's attention.
- Jenkins has won many awards in the field of advertising music with credits for Levi’s, British Airways, Renault, Volvo and Pepsi to name but a few, but it is for his concerts that he has achieved critical acclaim.
- His double harp concerto ‘Over The Stone’ was commissioned by HRH The Prince of Wales in 2002 for the Royal Harpist, Catrin Finch and Elinor Bennett accompanied by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, and his concertante ‘Quirk’, commissioned by the London Symphony Orchestra and conducted by Sir Colin Davies, was premiered in February 2005, as part of its centenary season.
- In March 2008, Karl Jenkins released a brilliant recording of his new Stabat Mater - a 13th century Roman Catholic text which has been set to music by many composers, among them Haydn, Dvorak, Vivaldi and Verdi.
- Jenkins' Gloria was premiered at the Royal Albert Hall on Sunday 11 July 2010, and released on EMI the following day.
Young flautist will now record a performance of a piece composed for her by Sir Karl Jenkins
Find out more about Jenkins's The Armed Man. Watch and listen to different recordings and download your favourite.
Find out more about Jenkins' Requiem. Watch and listen to different recordings and download your favourite.
Celebrating Her Majesty the Queen at 90 with the best of British music!
Discover the greatest composers and performers from Wales
"Arevare-tue-vate la-ti-a... err..."
Get to know the man behind Adiemus, Palladio and the stunning Benedictus.
Top Jenkins Pieces
Gloria - Laudamus Te
Karl Jenkins (b.1944 : Wales)
- Conductor: Karl Jenkins
- Ensemble: London Symphony Orchestra; National Youth Choir of Great Britain
- Record Label: EMI Classics
- Catalog: 50999 64643021
Powered by Facebook