John Suchet's Album of the Week, 29 September 2014
Founded and directed by Nigel Short
One of the world's best choirs, Tenebrae - under the direction of their founder Nigel Short - span the centuries and continents, shedding new light on the traditional repertoire and championing contemporary composers.
- Nigel Short was a member of The King’s Singers from 1994 – 2000. He formed Tenebrae on leaving the group.
- Short's vision was to combine a larger ensemble of singers with a more theatrical style of performing, with movement around the performance venue, and taking lighting and ambience into consideration.
- Under Short's direction, Tenebrae has collaborated with orchestras and instrumentalists of many diverse musical genres, and now enjoys a reputation as one of the world’s leading choirs.
- Their motto is 'Passion and Precision'.
- Among Tenebrae's recordings are the haunting works of Gesualdo and Victoria, the dramatic choral music of the Russian Orthodox Church, and the beautiful masterpieces of Poulenc.
- The group has performed at some of the world’s most renowned festivals including Montreux, Edinburgh and the City of London Festival.
- Their recording of Fauré's Requiem with the London Symphony Orchestra has been described as 'the very best Fauré Requiem on disc'.
- Nigel Short is also Director of Music at St Bartholomew the Great, London – home to a small consort of eight professional singers.
- Tenebrae is dedicated to contemporary music as well. Recent recordings have included works by Joby Talbot, Paul Mealor and Will Todd.
Did you know?
Tenebrae is featured on two major motion picture soundtracks - The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Children of Men, reaching millions of listeners around the world.
Tenebrae sing Eric Whitacre's 'Sleep'
Rachmaninov's All-Night Vigil
Watch an exclusive video of Paul Mealor's latest composition, Peace, taken from his soul-satisfying choral album.
16th July - This compilation of Will Todd’s music includes the premiere recording of a new commission, The Call of Wisdom, which was performed at St. Paul’s Cathedral for the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty the Queen
The Tenebrae choir with Nigel Short at the helm deliver a magnificent recording of Rachmaninov's demanding but powerful Vespers
A glorious collection of English choral music.
Tenebrae perform Victoria's epoch-making masterpiece with relish and precision
Find out more about Berlioz's L’Enfance du Christ. Watch and listen to different recordings and download your favourite.
Listen to our two-part interview with the celebrated Welsh composer all about his new disc of choral music.