It's been confirmed that the celebrated British conductor, Sir Colin Davis, has passed away.
Sir Colin Davis
Sir Colin Davis was a celebrated British conductor. Formerly The Royal Opera’s music director, he also became the London Symphony Orchestra's longest serving Principal Conductor.
Life and Music
- A former orchestral clarinetist, studying at the Royal College of Music in London, Davis worked his way steadily to prominence as a conductor of much versatility and dynamism, building up a world reputation in the music of Mozart and Berlioz.
- Davis was for many years The Royal Opera’s music director, and he is a former holder of major posts at the BBC Symphony, Boston Symphony and Bavarian Radio Symphony orchestras.
- He received a Knighthood in 1980.
- From 1992-2006 he was the London Symphony Orchestra’s principal conductor, where he has happily developed the brand of spacious grandeur that he increasingly brings to his performances.
- He is also a long-standing champion of modern composers, notably Michael Tippett. He became President of the LSO on 1 January 2007.
Did you know?
Sir Colin won a great deal of awards throughout his career including Classical Brit Awards and the Grammy Award in 2006 for Best Opera for his LSO Live recording of Verdi's Falstaff.
Haydn: Die Schöpfung (The Creation)
Sir Colin Davis has received the Association of British Orchestras award for outstanding services to British orchestral music.
Find out more about Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 1 in C. Watch and listen to different recordings and download your favourite.
Find out more about Berlioz's L’Enfance du Christ. Watch and listen to different recordings and download your favourite.
The passing away of Sir Colin Davis has been announced, prompting some heartfelt, poignant and fond tributes from the classical music world
We pay tribute to the towering influence of British conductor Sir Colin Davis who passed away on Sunday, April 14, 2013.
Top Colin Davis Pieces
Powered by Facebook