Classic FM's Jane Jones catches up with Martin Yates and Bradley Creswick from the Royal Northern Sinfonia ahead of Classic FM Live 2014 at the Royal Albert Hall
Royal Northern Sinfonia
Royal Northern Sinfonia is Classic FM’s Orchestra in North-East England and at The Sage Gateshead.
- Royal Northern Sinfonia, orchestra of The Sage Gateshead, has built a distinctive reputation as a fresh thinking, versatile orchestra, performing repertoire spanning three centuries and regularly commissioned new work.
- The orchestra’s work includes concerts, broadcasts, recordings, national and international touring with its Music Director Thomas Zehetmair, Principal Conductors Simon Halsey, John Wilson and Mario Venzago and guest artists.
- Royal Northern Sinfonia regularly appears at leading venues throughout the world including the Berlin Philharmonie, the Amsterdam Concertgebouw, the Musikverein in Vienna and the Royal Albert Hall in London where it has performed at the BBC Proms to great critical acclaim. Appearances at major festivals include the Edinburgh International and the Aldeburgh Festivals in the UK and a residency at the Hong Kong Festival in 2009.
- CDs recorded at The Sage Gateshead include Sibelius’ Symphonies 3 & 6 and Stravinsky’s Violin Concerto and Mozart Piano Concertos with Imogen Cooper, which received five star reviews in Classic FM magazine and The Sunday Telegraph.
- Royal Northern Sinfonia musicians are part of The Sage Gateshead’s wide ranging Learning & Participation programme, which offers opportunities for everyone to make music of all kinds, whatever their age or ability. Royal Northern Sinfonia also has an associated award-winning youth orchestra, Young Sinfonia, and is joined for both performance and recording by Royal Northern Sinfonia Chorus.
Did you know?
Northern Sinfonia became 'Royal' Northern Sinfonia in June 2013, after the title was bestowed on the orchestra by the Queen.
Tomasi: Trumpet Concerto 3rd movement
The Queen has bestowed the a royal title on Classic FM's Orchestra in North-East England, now known as Royal Northern Sinfonia
Find out more about Finzi's Eclogue. Watch and listen to different recordings and download your favourite.
Experience, spirit and total commitment return handsome compensation for occasional rough ensemble edges
Top Northern Sinfonia Pieces
Concerto Grosso in F major Opus 3, No. 4 (2)
Prelude founded on Welsh Hymn Tune 'Rhosymedre'
- Conductor: Richard Hickox
- Ensemble: Royal Northern Sinfonia
- Record Label: EMI
- Catalog: CZS 5739862
Requiem - Lacrimosa
Powered by Facebook