As The Sixteen's annual Choral Pilgrimage takes to the road, maestro Harry Christophers celebrates reaching the top spot with Monteverdi's Vespers of 1610.
Harry Christophers is known internationally as the founder and director of ‘The Voices of Classic FM’, The Sixteen.
Life and Music
- Harry Christophers attended the King's School, Canterbury and was a chorister at Canterbury Cathedral under choirmaster Allan Wicks. He also played clarinet in the school orchestra alongside Andrew Marriner.
- The Sixteen were founded in 1979 while Christophers was part of the BBC Singers. The choir has since developed from its roots as a group of Oxford graduates passionate about the choral tradition to one of the world's most brilliantly honed chamber choirs.
- In September 2008, Christophers was named the Artistic Director of the Handel and Haydn Society in Boston, beginning in the 2009-2010 season, for an initial contract of three seasons.
- In October 2008, Christophers was awarded the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Music from the University of Leicester and in July 2009, he was made an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama.
Did you know?
Christophers became an Academical Clerk at Magdalen College, Oxford, studying classics for two years before embarking on a musical career.
The Sixteen Victoria, O Magnum Mysterium
For their annual tour of the UK's cathedrals, the 'Voices of Classic FM' are this year taking a trip back to 16th- century Seville, where arts and culture flourished, and the composers Guerrero and Lobo made their mark
Find out more about Parry's Jerusalem. Watch and listen to different recordings and download your favourite.
With Harry Christophers and the Handel and Haydn Society, Mozart’s final masterpiece has never sounded so exciting
Top Harry Christophers Pieces
Requiem Opus 48 - Agnus Dei
Gabriel Faure (1845-1924 : France)
- Conductor: Harry Christophers
- Ensemble: Academy of St.Martin in the Fields;The Sixteen
- Soloists: Huw Williams (organist)
- Record Label: Coro
- Catalog: COR 16057
The Peanut Polka
- Conductor: Ronald Corp
- Ensemble: New London Orchestra
- Record Label: Hyperion
- Catalog: CDS 44262
Powered by Facebook