The Les Misérables star chats to us on the red carpet at the Classic BRITs 2013
Samantha Barks is a Manx professional singer and actress who first gained recognition on the BBC talent show-themed television series I'd Do Anything in 2008.
Life and Music
- Barks was born and brought up on the Isle of Man.
- She started dancing from the age of three, training in Ballet, Modern and Tap with Dancers Barre, then Stagecoach Isle of Man, Theatrix, Stage One and the Manx Ballet Company. She was also a member of the Manx Operatic Society, which provided her with a lot of performing experience.
- Her previous work includes playing the role of Snow White, aged four, in a school production, and the following roles in amateur productions at the Gaiety Theatre, Isle of Man and The Villa Marina, Isle of Man: Aurora in Sleeping Beauty, The Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland, The Scarecrow in a ballet version of The Wizard of Oz, Dancing in Coppélia, La Boutique Fantasque, La Sylphide, The Nutcracker, Dick Whittington, Cinderella, Robinson Crusoe, Rizzo in Grease, a Hot Box Girl in Guys and Dolls, Cyndi Gibson in Back to the 80's (a role which she reprised in August 2007 at the Gaiety Theatre), and she understudied Lucy in Jekyll and Hyde.
- Barks' film credits include Jimmy Spud, Chromophobia and she also had a singing role in the ITV1 TV movie, The Final Quest, directed by and starring David Jason.
- In 2008, Barks competed in I'd Do Anything in which she was one of the finalists in a search for a new, unknown lead to play Nancy in a West End revival of the British musical Oliver!. She reached the final where she finished third.
- Barks performed 'On My Own' at the Classical Brits 2011 at The Royal Albert Hall on 12 May 2011.
Did you know?
Samantha, will be playing Eponine in the movie version of the long running musical Les Misérables. She joins a cast that includes Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, Eddie Redmayne and Sacha Baron Cohen.
"On My Own" from Les Miserables
Chinese pianist Lang Lang received International Artist of the Year at the Classic BRIT Awards 2013.
Powered by Facebook