The Classic FM Podcast features the week’s top classical music stories and highlights of our interviews with classical stars. This week Anne-Marie hears from the biggest classical music stars in the world including Libera.
Libera is a unique vocal group consisting of boys between the ages of 7 and 16 who attend many different local schools in South London and come from a variety of backgrounds. With shimmering, mystical chords and ecstatic harmonies, Libera creates music to lift the soul.
- Under the musical direction of Robert Prizeman, Libera perform all over the world and have made many recordings.
- The boys like to think of themselves as an alternative kind of boy band.
- Their music contains elements of Gregorian chant and classical composers such as Debussy, Beethoven and Pachelbel.
- Their albums top the mainstream and classical charts and sell out concert halls in the US, the UK, the Philippines, South Korea and Japan.
- In 2007 the boys performed at the Kennedy Centre Honours in a tribute to Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.
- At the 2008 Papal Mass to mark the climax of Pope Benedict XVI’s first visit to the USA, Libera were the only British artists to perform to a capacity congregation of 60,000 at New York’s Yankee Stadium.
- Libera appeared at the 2011 Starkey Hearing Foundation Gala with Miley Cyrus, Meatloaf and Kevin Costner, in the presence of President Bill Clinton.
Did you know?
For their 2015 Christmas song Santa will find you the boys created several Christmas scenes in a Balham studio for the accompanying video – thanks to a good supply of the right kind of fake snow.
Watch our interview with the South London boys choir all about their new Christmas album.
Classic FM Album of the Week, 23 March 2015, after 10am
Top Libera Pieces
Air on the G String
Carol of the bells
Powered by Facebook