The best classical albums of the year - according to Classic FM presenters and staff: which one came out on top?
A distant relation to Norwegian virtuoso Ole Bull, violinist Charlie Siem has become one of the UK’s brightest classical stars.
Life and Music
- Born in London to a Norwegian father and a British mother, Charlie began to play the violin at the age of three, after hearing a performance of Beethoven’s Violin Concerto by the late Yehudi Menuhin. Charlie was educated at Eton College and read music at Girton College, Cambridge. He furthered his violin studies with tutors from The Guildhall School of Music and The Royal College of Music.
- Charlie has appeared with orchestras around the world, including the Royal Philharmonic, London Mozart Players, Israel Camerata and Bergen Philharmonic, and at festivals including St Moritz, Gstaad, Spoleto and Windsor. In 2008 Charlie toured the UK with the Moscow Philharmonic, playing Shostakovich’s First Violin Concerto to great critical acclaim.
- Charlie’s debut CD was released in 2008 and featured violin sonatas by Grieg and Elgar. In 2010 he signed to Warner Classics and Jazz and has already produced a critically acclaimed album, which includes spectacular virtuoso repertoire from the great violin masters Paganini, Sarasate, Wieniawski and Kreisler.
- In June 2011 Charlie was personally invited by Lady Gaga to perform for her in New York at her Fashion Icon Award party.
- Charlie's next album 'Charlie Siem – Bruch, Wieniawski, Ole Bull' was released in the UK in August 2011.
Did you know?
Charlie has a great interest in fashion and is currently the global face of the Alfred Dunhill label. He has appeared in many publications, including Italian Men’s Vogue, photographs for which were taken by the singer Bryan Adams, with whom Charlie subsequently appeared in concert.
Charlie Siem plays Ole Bull
Anne-Marie hears from the biggest classical music stars in the world including Charlie Siem, Ludovico Einaudi and André Rieu.
Charlie Siem is one of classical music’s rising stars – as he proves here with his second album for Warner Classics.
John Suchet's Album of the Week, 22 September 2014
Top Charlie Siem Pieces
Edward Elgar (1857-1934 : England)
- Soloists: Charlie Siem; Andrei Korobeinikov
- Record Label: Challenge Classics
- Catalog: CC 72293
Violin Concerto No.1 in F# minor Opus 14 (2)
- Conductor: Andrew Gourlay
- Ensemble: London Symphony Orchestra
- Soloists: Charlie Siem
- Record Label: Warner Classics
- Catalog: 2564 666612
6 Pieces for Orchestra (1)
- Conductor: Paul Englishby
- Ensemble: City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra
- Soloists: Martin Robertson (alto saxophone)
- Record Label: Naxos
- Catalog: 8 872986
Powered by Facebook