Former model and beauty queen, Angel Joy Blue is today an award-winning operatic soprano, in demand around the world.
- Born on 3 May 1984, Angel Blue studied voice and classical piano at the Los Angeles County High School for the Arts.
- She was the first and only African-American to hold the title of Miss Apple Valley California. She has held other titles including Miss Hollywood.
- After doing a BA in Music at the University of Redlands, she received a Masters degree from UCLA in 2007, in Opera Performance.
- She was a member of the Domingo-Thornton Young Artist Program at Los Angeles Opera from 2007-2009.
- In the 2008/09 season, Blue made her debut with the San Francisco Opera Company as Clara in Porgy and Bess.
- Blue's voice is celebrated for its shining and agile upper register, 'smoky' middle register, beautiful tone, and her ability to switch from a classical to contemporary sound.
- She has performed lead roles and as a featured soloist with the Los Angeles Opera, ENO, San Francisco Opera, the Berlin Philharmonic and at Walt Disney Concert Hall.
- Her repertoire includes leadings roles such as Violetta in La Traviata, Musetta and Mimi in La boheme, Lucia di Lammermoor, Dido and Donna Elvira in Don Giovanni.
- In 2010 Blue was a featured soloist on the Madrilenos por Haiti concert, dedicated to raising funds for housing projects for Haitians that have relocated to the Dominican Republic.
- The tenor Plácido Domingo has described Angel Blue as 'the next Leontyne Price'.