The Harmonic Institution
This image appears in the gallery:
Royal Philharmonic Society: celebrating 200 years of music
18. The Harmonic Institution
The Harmonic Institution was a partnership formed in 1818 to print music by musicians who were unable to find fair terms with the main London publishers. The organisation was based at the Argyll Rooms on Regent Street, London where the Philharmonic Society gave its concerts, including the first UK performance of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony. Unfortunately the rooms burnt down in 1830. The site is presently occupied by NatWest Bank.