On Air Now
The Classic FM Concert with John Suchet 8pm - 10pm
10 November 2021, 12:23 | Updated: 10 November 2021, 12:26
An orchestra’s instruments were coated with a fine acidic dust after a fire extinguisher was set off in their rehearsal room.
Members of the Philharmonie Südwestfalen were shocked to discover their instruments had been destroyed during a weekend celebration at their resident concert hall in Hilchenbach, Germany.
A fire extinguisher was set off in the German orchestra’s rehearsal space, causing 25 instruments to be coated with white extinguishing powder.
“It’s the dust that lies in the room that worries us,” says musical director, Michael Nassauer. “It gets in everything as soon as we open a door.”
The acidic dust is so fine that it has settled into even the smallest of gaps in the instruments. A specialist company is being brought in to ensure further damage is not done to the instruments.
Heartbreakingly, it is not known how many of the instruments are already damaged beyond repair.
While it is not known who the perpetrators were, the party cellar under the concert hall had been rented out for a private event the evening of the incident.
A police investigation is currently underway to determine why this disturbance took place, and how those involved were able to access the orchestra’s rehearsal room.