Air for Strings Paul Carr Download 'Air for Strings' on iTunes
27 June 2013, 12:11
The entertainment chain has confirmed its flagship London store is to return to its original site, opened by Sir Edward Elgar in 1921.
HMV's flagship music store is returning to its historic roots, downsizing from its current location and returning to the original site opened by Sir Edward Elgar in 1921, 363 Oxford Street. The current HMV site, 150 Oxford Street, is being sold to become a sports shop.
After being destroyed by a fire in 1937, the original shop was rebuilt and reopened by conductor Sir Thomas Beecham. The shop closed down in 2000, giving way to the larger store down the road at 150 Oxford Street.
HMV Oxford Street is currently the biggest music shop in the world, occupying 60,000 sq ft. Now smaller stores can offer a click-and-collect service, HMV owners Hilco considered the store to be too big - the new premises are around three times smaller.