Anger as Dallas Symphony Orchestra postpones UK tour over terrorism fears
23 December 2015, 09:18
The Dallas Symphony Orchestra has been accused of an ‘overreaction’ after postponing a tour of Europe next April on security grounds.
The Dallas Symphony Orchestra’s decision follows the recent terrorist attacks in Paris and California. Both the DSO's management and artistic arms have issued an explanation saying it was a "careful" and "difficult” decision, as they believed there would be an "elevated risk" for musicians and their families.
The DSO said it had consulted “national and international security professionals”.
The DSO’s music director Jaap van Zweden said: “As an individual, I continue to travel around the world for my various conducting engagements. However, I respect the decision that has been made, as the safety of our DSO musicians and our extended touring group is primary.”
Dates had been scheduled in April 2016 for the UK, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, England and Scotland.
The decision has provoked anger on social media, with music lovers accusing the orchestra of an “overreaaction” and cowardice:
Still angry about this: Dallas Symphony cancels entire European/UK tour over 'security fears', after Paris attacks https://t.co/jHbiSvxQW2— Matthew Moore (@mattkmoore) December 23, 2015
Overreaction of the Week: Dallas Symphony Cancels European Tour | FrontBurner | D Magazine https://t.co/bjMTrP1wml— Wylie H. Dallas (@Wylie_H_Dallas) December 23, 2015
The DSO is not the only US orchestra that had been planning a European tour in 2016. The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra's 14-concert tour to Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Belgium in May is still on.
Louise Sciannameo, vice president of public affairs at the PSO, told The Pittsburgh Post Gazette: "At this point in time, the Pittsburgh Symphony is planning to move forward with its tour. With all the facts available to us at this point, we feel our decision is appropriate."
- Image of Dallas Myerson Symphony Center: Joe Mabel