One of John Lennon’s greatest compositions has a link to one of Beethoven’s.
We asked experimental violinist Sarah Neufeld for a playlist of adventurous, modern classically-influenced music, and she delivered. Expect Nils Frahm, Max Richter, AWVFTS and many more.
Sarah Neufeld knows all about pushing the boundaries of her instrument: as a violinist with Canadian indie rock titans Arcade Fire and equally as an experimental solo artist, she's become a torchbearer for expanding listeners' minds. So who better than her to provide us with a superb playlist of modern works that will rewire your brain a bit?
Here's what she's picked for you:
1. Some - Nils Frahm
2. Atomos XII - A Winged Victory For The Sullen
3. Never The Way She Was - Colin Stetson, Sarah Neufeld
4. Parry: Interruptions (Heart And Breath Nonet): VI French Guitars -yMusic, Bryce Dessner, Aaron Dessner, Richard Reed Parry
5. The Candlelight Vigil - Jóhann Jóhannsson
6. Harmonium - Max Richter
7. Part IV - Nico Muhly
8. High Above a Grey Green Sea - Colin Stetson
9. Nijùshichi - Sylvain Chauveau, Stéphane Garin
10. Where The Light Comes In - Sarah Neufeld
11. Ogives/Redisributed - Eluvium
12. Apreludes (In C Sharp Major) - Stars Of The Lid
Sarah Neufeld plays the Elgar Room at the Royal Albert Hall on May 4th. More info here.