With the best choristers representing 60 cathedrals across the UK singing classics such as Allegri's Miserere and Zadok the Priest, an Evening with the Cathedral Choristers of Britain is a concert you won't want to miss.
For the first time ever, choristers representing 60 cathedrals across the country will come together with the choir of St Paul’s Cathedral to perform some of Britain’s most-loved choral music.
Join Classic FM presenters Aled Jones and Alexander Armstrong at this unique concert at St Paul's Cathedral on 27 April 2016.
Aled, himself a former chorister at Bangor Cathedral, will be hosting the occasion, while Alexander will reminisce about his own time as a chorister at St Mary’s Cathedral, Edinburgh, and what it means to him personally.
From tiny St Asaph cathedral in north Wales to mighty Canterbury and York and all points between, these youngsters demonstrate the talent and musicianship that make Britain’s cathedral choirs the envy of the world, a cultural tradition that dates back 1,400 years.
Classic FM is proud to support this historic event as Media Partner, in conjunction with the Friends of Cathedral Music who have been supporting cathedral choirs for the last 60 years, and the Genesis Foundation, which plays an active role in nurturing and developing the careers of outstanding young artists, and is sponsoring the concert.
The concert will take place in the presence of HRH The Duchess of Gloucester . It also launches the Friends of Cathedral Music’s new Diamond Fund for Choristers in this, FCM’s diamond jubilee year.
The programme of music includes
- Allegri’s Miserere, using the architecture of St Paul’s Cathedral to wonderful effect
- Excerpts from Britten’s Friday Afternoons and Ceremony of Carols, displaying the versatility of the nation’s young choristers
- Handel’s Zadok the Priest, which has been performed at every Coronation since that of George II in 1727
- Tippett’s Five Spirituals, drawing on a very different choral tradition
- The world premier of a specially commissioned work by Philip Stopford
- Parry’s I Was Glad, guaranteed to lift the roof off the cathedral.
Book tickets by phone: 0844 844 0444
Proceeds from the concert will go to the Diamond Fund for Choristers which aims to relieve chorister family hardship, and help choristers develop and flourish.