"Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal." Igor Stravinsky
Igor Stravinsky (1882-1971) was a Russian composer who revolutionised 20th-century music, and provoked riots with The Rite of Spring.
Life and Music
- Stravinsky composed masterpieces in almost every genre, most notably an incomparable series of ballet scores.
- He discovered a way of rethinking the creative ideals of the 17th and 18th centuries in a thoroughly contemporary idiom and, in doing so, hit upon one of the most vital and far-reaching movements of the last 100 years: Neo-Classicism.
- Without Stravinsky the history of 20th-century music would have turned out quite differently.
- Although his father was a distinguished bass singer and the young Stravinsky was given every opportunity as a child, Stravinsky hardly showed the kind of unblinkered passion for music which one normally associates with a great composer. Indeed, he looked set for a career in jurisprudence until he met Rimsky-Korsakov, who immediately recognised he had a talent for composition and offered to teach him.
- Stravinsky’s big break, the ballet The Firebird, came out of the blue. He was commissioned to compose the music only because Anatoly Lyadov let down the impresario Serge Diaghilev at the last minute.
- The premiere of Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring, in Paris in June 1913, caused a sensation, and Stravinsky was catapulted from obscurity to stardom literally overnight. The notorious performance, interrupted throughout by a hail of farmyard noises from the gallery, ended in chaos with rival factions shouting abuse at each other, and the conductor and musicians fleeing in disarray.
- It is one of the miracles of Stravinsky’s output that while each and every piece could be by no one else, no two works sound remotely the same.
Did you know?
In 1942, the great ballet dancer-choreographer George Ballanchine commissioned Stravinsky to write a short piece of music for a ballet with elephants, during which one would lift Ballanchine’s then wife, Vera Zorina, up on to its back.
Find out more about Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring. Watch and listen to different recordings and download your favourite.
Find out more about Stravinsky's The Firebird. Watch and listen to different recordings and download your favourite.
Stravinsky's smiley face will make you feel thoroughly excellent.
The greatest American composers ever, all assembled in one handy gallery! Get to know Glass, Bernstein, Whitacre, Gershwin and all the rest
Freddy Kempf delivers a well crafted collection some of Rachmaninov, Bach, Ravel and Stravinsky's finest works
“I was guided by no system whatever in Le Sacre du Printemps,” wrote Igor Stravinsky in 1961. “I had only my ear to help me; I heard and I wrote what I heard. I am the vessel through which Le Sacre passed.”
Igor Stravinsky was the trailblazing creator of groundbreaking scores that overshadowed most of his contemporaries.
Top Stravinsky Pieces
Powered by Facebook