You voted in your thousands. Now the chart has been revealed. What is the UK's favourite film score?
Howard Shore (1946-present) is a Canadian composer, notable for his film scores. He is most famous for his soundtracks to the films of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Life and Music
- Shore has composed music for more than 40 films, including The Departed, The Aviator, Gangs of New York, Ed Wood, The Silence of the Lambs, Philadelphia, and Mrs Doubtfire.
- His music for The Lord of the Rings films has earned him three Academy Awards.
- He has also been awarded four Grammys and three Academy Awards.
- Shore was one of the original creators of American TV show Saturday Night Live. He served as its music director from 1975 to 1980.
- Shore’s music has been performed in concert across the world. In 2003, he conducted the world premiere of The Lord of the Rings Symphony in New Zealand. The Symphony is an arrangement of the film scores, in six movements.
- In 2010, Lang Lang premiered a new piano concerto by Shore.
- Shore’s first opera The Fly was premiered at the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris. He is currently working on his second.
Did you know?
Shore’s Lord of the Rings Symphony has been performed more than 140 times by the world’s most prestigious orchestras since its premiere in 2003.
John Suchet's Album of the Week, 15 December 2014
Howard Shore returns to Middle Earth for the second film in the Hobbit trilogy. Album of the Week, 9 December 2013.
Howard Shore’s iconic score stays at the top, while James Horner’s music surges up the chart
Saturday Night at the Movies, Saturday 28 February 2015, 5pm.
Find out more about Shore's The Hobbit. Watch and listen to different recordings and download your favourite.
Find out more about Shore's Lord of the Rings. Watch and listen to different recordings and download your favourite.
Rings? Norse mythology? Leitmotifs? Sounds like Wagner to us…
Ever heard Lord Of The Rings played on a ukulele? Or by a prancing elf? Or by a tattooed metal god? Well, we've got them all…
Top Shore Pieces
Gangs of New York - Brooklyn Heights (1)
Howard Shore (b.1946 : Canada)
- Conductor: David Arnold
- Ensemble: Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
- Record Label: Classic FM
- Catalog: CFMCD 46
Panic Room - Main Title
The Aviator - Icarus
The Silence of the Lambs - Main Title
Powered by Facebook