It's the most profitable Japanese film of all time - but where does Joe Hisaishi's soundtrack to Spirited Away fit into the success?
Joe Hisaishi Biography
Joe Hisaishi (1950-) is best known for composing the music for the films of Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazki, including Princess Mononoke, Spirited Awayand Ponyo.
- Joe Hisaishi was born on December 6th 1950 in Nagano, Japan.
- He began violin lessons aged five and went on to study composition at the Kunitachi College of Music.
- Hisaishi's first major success came in 1974 when he composed the music for an animated film called Gyatoruzu.
- Throughout his career, Hisaishi has also recorded many instrumental albums of new-age and prog rock music.
- Hisaishi became good friends with director Hayao Miyazaki in the 1980s and was asked to compose music for many of his Studo Ghibli animated films.
- Successes with Studio Ghibli film scores included Laputa: Castle In The Sky (1986), Princess Mononoke (1997) and Spirited Away (2001).